Skip to main content

Padova Urbs Picta

La cappella degli Scrovegni di Giotto a Padova

Defined as 'Padua Urbs picta', the art of the 14th century is preserved in different buildings and places scattered around the historic centre:
- the Basilica and the Convent of the Saint
- the Scrovegni Chapel
- the Palazzo della Ragione
- the Baptistery of the Cathedral
- the Church of Saints Philip and James at the Eremitani
- the Chapel of the Reggia Carrarese
- the oratories of San Giorgio and San Michele

The incredible artistic flourishing of the 14th century is largely due to the arrival in the city of Maestro Giotto in 1302, who initiated a season of rare beauty, subsidised by private patrons and rich bankers. Courts in this period were excellent incubators of talent and artists, and it was within the ranks of one of these courts, the Carraresi, that we see the city change and affirm its role as a European cultural and artistic centre.

In fact, the pictorial cycles also represent the "image" of the politicians who governed Padua and, walking among these wonders, we can find a cross-section of what was the political and social life of the time.